RetroArch Wii original version is available here for you to download. RetroArch is a modular multi-system emulator which designed to be lightweight, fast, and portable. Wii is a home video game console released on 19th November 2006 by Nintendo. It competed with Sony’s PlayStation and Microsoft’s Xbox 360 as a 7th generation console. This Wii port can run RetroArch Cores for a large number of systems including NEOGEO, CPS1, and CPS2. There is still a lot to know about Wii U RetroArch. Scroll down and check the overview of Wii RetroArch and installation steps.
Check out Features of RetroArch Application
RetroArch Wii U Overview
The Predecessor of Wii is GameCube and the successor is Wii U which was released on 18th November 2012. The Wii U features a remote controller which helps in detecting movement in 3 dimensions and also used as a handheld pointing device. This comes with output 1080 pixels HD graphics and an embedded touchscreen. This is one of the main features of the Wii console. There are some games/emulators that included in the RetroArch Wii U release and they were ported to RetroArch. They are as follows,
- Stella (Atari 2600)
- FCEUmm (Nintendo Entertainment System) (recent SVN version)
- Tyrquake (Quake 1)
- Mr Boom (Bomberman clone)
- Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (Mame)
- Mednafen Virtual Boy (VB)
- Gambatte (Super Game Boy | Game Boy | Game Boy Color) [version 0.5.0 WIP]
- m Game Boy Advance (GBA)
- Mednafen Neo Geo Pocket (NGP)
- VBA Next (Game Boy Advance)
- Quick Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
- Mednafen Wonderswan (WonderSwan Color/WonderSwan/WonderSwan Crystal)
- Genesis Plus GX (Master System | Sega SG-1000 | Genesis/Mega Drive | Game Gear | Sega CD) [version 1.7.0]
- Final Burn Alpha Cores (CPS1 – CPS2 – NeoGeo) (version 0.2.97.26)
- Nestopia (Nintendo Entertainment System)
- Mednafen PCE Fast (PC Engine CD/PC Engine/Turbografx 16)
- Mednafen PC-FX (PCFX)
- PrBoom (for playing Doom 1/2/Ultimate Doom/Final Doom)
- SNES9x Next (Super Nintendo/Super Famicom)
- NXEngine (Cave Story game engine clone)
- Mednafen Supergrafx (PC Engine SuperGrafx)
How to install Wii & Wii U RetroArch?
- Visit the official website of RetroArch, www.retroarch.com
- You can find the button named ‘Get RetroArch’.
- Click on that and you will direct to the ‘Cross Platform’ page.
- In the list of supported platforms, you can find the Wii & Wii U platforms.
- Now, click on the RetroArch Wii Download button.
- Copy this Wii RetroArch to your SD card in the apps directory.
- Now start the RetroArch Wii U or Wii by starting up the Homebrew Channel.
- On the first startup, in the root of your storage device, a folder gets created with name ‘RetroArch’. All the files related to the RetroArch configuration stored here.
- Finally, select the ROM that supported by this core and then you can load it in the Filebrowser.
Thus, you have seen how to install RetroArch on Wii in an easy way. So, make RetroArch Wii Download and install it on your Wii console.
Selecting Cores of Wii RetroArch
- On startup, RetroArch will select one of the various game/emulator cores.
- At the bottom side of the screen, you can see the name of the RetroArch core that currently loaded.
- Go to Settings menu and see Ingame controls to select a different core.
- Select the ‘Core’ option and tap on the A button.
- Now, a filebrowser will appear to help you select a different core.
- To switch to the game/emulator core, Press A.
- Finally, to load the newly selected core, select ‘Restart RetroArch’.
See how to download RetroArch Android
RetroArch Wii Controls
For the each core you load, the Wii U RetroArch will create a new input config. When the RetroArch exits, all the input settings will be saved.
- You might have to first initialize the input settings for the first time when starting up a new core.
- Go to the Settings menu.
- See Ingame controls.
- Now, go to ‘Controller #number config’.
- By going back and forth between the previous device, you can Reset the ‘Device’.
- Finally, you can apply the controls automatically and this has to be done once per RetroArch core.
If you are using windows device, check how to install RetroArch Windows
- On Wii (VBA Next is a RetroConsole Level 2 emulator port), some GBS games won’t run at full speed. In the near future, it will then replace by a gpSP port.
- The biggest Neo-Geo ROMs which can be loaded such as King of Fighters ’96 and Real Bout Fatal Fury are around 23 plus MB.